The COVID-19 wage supplement has been extended until March, Minister Miriam Dalli announced on Friday.
The supplement is available to employers whose businesses have been significantly impacted by COVID-19 and allows them to subsidize workers’ wages, avoiding layoffs.
First introduced in March 2020, the supplement was originally set to expire at the end of 2021. It was later extended to the end of January as Omicron variant infections prompted health authorities to introduce new restrictions pandemic.
Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Dalli said a decision had now been made to extend the supplement until March.
“The government has supported and continues to support businesses and entrepreneurs because despite the COVID-19 situation, we want them to grow and strengthen their operations,” said Dalli, who is politically responsible for Malta Enterprise.
Dalli said the extension had been approved by the cabinet and the government would monitor the country’s economic situation.
“Several sectors were impacted by the pandemic in January and February, including tourism. We now expect March to be a time of recovery, which is why we have decided that this assistance should remain [until then],” she says.
Independent journalism costs money. Support Times of Malta for the price of a coffee.